i, all my being slowly aging

Age, you came by way of withering hands
aching bones
and missing smiles- i remember the smiles,
tucked away
in old albums in an attic where a burned
out bulb
swung with its deacon, the dark.

Ah! yes, you have all things ready for me in a
quiet place
i’ll be there, by and by, as weariness continues to
haunt me
(after all it is your messenger, what sense is this)
i already
feel the skeleton of your fingers, thin and damp
touching me
a cold, airy vengeance- a shadowy portend.

i cover one eye as i slowly grow older,
it hides
my tears- yet, my hand feels my sadness;
perhaps we
can strike a bargain. … let me dance
once more
barefoot in my memories, days of yesteryear.

As i bid my friends adieu, may i say with certainty
there wasn’t
a place quite like my eyes, for with them i
have seen
much beauty, felt much love- like morning
crimson sun. …
now my soul lays me down to sleep, i am alone.

Copyright © 04/26/18 lance sheridan®

i, all my being slowly aging.jpg

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Poetry.

44 comments on “i, all my being slowly aging

1. saymber says:

Beautifully sad. Makes me think of my Grandma and her piles of photo albums. We would spend hours looking through them. After she died they were all broken apart and separated amongst the children. Now we can’t see them all together anymore just like I can no longer see her.

2. MAMEN AN says:

Beautiful words! Congratulations 🙂

3. This is beautifully written!! 🙂

4. Barbara Kasey Smith says:

Awww, Lance, these images are striking, painting a canvas of age swallowing the firm body of an aging man. I loved the imaginations this reader’s mind took on this journey. Barb:)

5. Dorianna says:

beautiful and poignant…as I age I relate to some of these feeling and the revelation that I will be closing my eyes and saying adieu to the memories and loved ones.

• Dorianna, as we pass on, a new generation begins anew. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your support, and your talent!

• Dorianna says:

you are very welcome Lance..BTW, I see you are still going thru the archives. I appreciate your reading my poems. a few weeks ago many of my blog poems didn’t make the transfer. I am in the process of reposting…please bear with me when you see a title with no poem. Should be finished soon. 🙂

• Your work is very much worth going through the archives! And, it’s a great pleasure, Dorianna! I wish you the best!

6. Powerful, descriptive, imagery of a process we all will know sooner or later…Beautiful in its accuracy, but sad in its reality…

7. kaddietucker says:

Touching and evocative, Lance. Since I am creeping up on old age, I can relate to this, but I can honestly say, I don’t mind. Clear out the old, you know, to make way for the new. 😊 And I never have fancied living forever. I’m curious to know what lies beyond.

8. Age is relative Lance. Dream of those days when you chased the girls and caught one.
    Stay young.

9. Powerful and evocative, Lance. This beautifully written poem hit me especially hard because I’m already there, late eighties. Still, I hope for many more years in which to read your work. You are an especially talented writer.

10. A poignant portrait of aging. It brought tears to my eyes.

11. Susi Bocks says:

Aging, horrendous! But you outlined it well. We are truly all alone as we meet our end. Well written, thank you!