she swung forth to find the fall of night

oft in the field from the day’s foes,
under the naked branch, she sat
upon the wooden seat, isolated;
moving in a curved arc, in flight,
without the intent of hitting the air,
she swung forth to find the fall of
night; she chanced to endure the
dole of darkness approaching.
that this little girl had heard each
night for fifty years, the din of
revel, high in the heavens, flying,
now came the light to lighten, her
soul to keep forever; the swing
no longer swaying, lifeless.

Copyright © 02/23/2013 lance sheridan®

swing

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Poetry.

41 comments on “she swung forth to find the fall of night

1. I absolutely love this 💗

2. MOMENTS says:

Wonderfully written, Lance! I see a double meaning of the word swing here. On the one hand the girl sits physically on a swing, where she is still the child she used to be sitting there, or where these memories are evoked, but also the adult woman at the same time, considering the “dole of darkness” she has heard for fifty years. There is a metaphorical swing of her life swaying from dark to light and viceversa, a constant contrast in your lovely poem until the woman dies, where death is also dark but there is also the spiritual light keeping her soul, God? I like the ambiguity of the last two verses: she is lifeless and the swing is also lifeless as if it had a life of its own. Well, that is how I see your poem but you might well disapprove of my interpretation. In any case, a lovely poem!

3. I was left breathless by your imagery, Lance. I, too, caught the difference between the child and the woman. But I saw the child as having learned to hate the darkness of death, and the woman who then came to embrace it as the breath of eternal life. The swing? No longer necessary as a prop like the physical body holding the soul of the woman in the end set free.

4. The title is a visual appetizer for the whole poem! Perfect!

5. Marta, absolutely! And, thank you once again.

6. Mary Mangee says:

I love this poem Lance. Your insight and simple delivery gives the reader so much depth to dive into. Great work.

7. tara caribou says:

This has a deep, Arthurian feel to it. I really enjoyed it.

8. Poemsofages says:

Thanks for the follow sir and loving my post, hope you are having a great day sir. Your work is amazing, i love it

9. jussaraluna says:

Your poems are excellent and you are a great and talented writer. Thank you for your visit and kind words.
    Jussara

10. Wow this is so beautiful 😍

11. Ali Grimshaw says:

Lance, this is a great title. Your combination of words is intriguing. I rarely am called to read a poem three times in one sitting but this one invited me to.

12. Poignant. You have such a light touch, conveying profound meaning w/ each syllable.

13. etiliyle says:

💕💞💕💞💕💞

14. This has an echo of the Romantic Poets of the past that I treasured so much in my college days. Quite lovely to read. And yet I felt tears falling as it ended. A life well lived, or one not lived quite long enough? One line brought back a memory from the children’s prayer I used to say as a little girl before bed – my soul to keep- so long ago and yet that line struck me like a dagger. The beauty of your words ended with such finality that this poem had me weeping. Perhaps it just has me contiplating my up coming birthday and realizing that the swing doesn’t stay in motion forever… hmmm
    You write beautifully. In the midst of so many bloggers who think their talent abounds, when it does not, it is quite a treat (especially for a recently retired writing writing teacher) to come across true talent. Bravo!

• Lesley, I’m very honored. You have my utmost gratitude and appreciation for your quite wonderful review of my poem! How eloquent your writing is- very expressive. You have a bond with words that is quite unique, refreshing if you will. And, wishing you an early Happy Birthday!

• Thank you! I have several months until my birthday, I’m just preparing myself for a number I thought would take MUCH longer to reach. Yikes! It seems to have me reflecting on so many things I took for granted.

And no need for gratitude since your talent is well deserved and rightfully earned. The teacher in me can’t help but comment and be impressed.

As far as my writing style… it seems to span the centuries and my moods. Political comments take me back to that flower child of my past… she emerges rhythmically like the chords I played when I strummed guitar in an all girl’s rock band in the late 60’s… wild and outspoken. Chaotic and out of control.
        When I read poetry, I vacillate from jumping into the minds of Shakespearean heroines and my favorite literary characters like Elizabeth Bennett. You see, I’m a time traveler of sorts when it comes to literature and writing. And having been an actress in my youth, the vividness you seem to pick up and recognize, is (for whatever reason or however it happens) perhaps my training using Stanislavsky’s method acting skills. While working on my masters in gifted education, I wrote a paper how I used Method acting as the impetus to teach creative writing. It gave students subtext and an ability to get in touch with all their senses. It does work! Yep, method acting allows one to live a moment in time and then write about it. I’m not a poet, but I am a writer (when I’m not too lazy to edit). Lol. Not because I’m especially good at writing, but because I must write. Words just ooze out and I find I have to capture them and put them down somewhere…be it a blog, a journal, or on Facebook. Wherever.
        You, however, are truly a poet and that is a feat to be revered.

15. Lesley, you’ve led quite an interesting life- fascinating, delightful, thought provoking, amazing… And giving so much of it back to help others! You’re a wonderful inspiration to so many. Thank you once again for your kind words and thoughts!

16. My pleasure. Keep writing!