I am death’s opus

I think I am going up,
The hand sweat trickles
And stiffens a gun;
Do I terrify
The eye pits, the heart.

The beads of hot lead fly
And I, love, and I
Am pure adrenaline;
A new death a virgin
Attended by a black rose.

Oh, and I cry out against it,
I am powerful, but to what extent?
The victim thought he was god,
Never, never will I reach his perfection
Even in a fragment of a prayer.

The holy water fountains are dry
And the sermon is over;
The prison guards are fat like little pigs,
A dark mist has entered my soul,
I enter into an hour of blankness.

Some hard meal,
How yellow are the heavens?
I have eaten a bag of lies;
My little head bulges in a shock,
I smile like a fish.

It would be better if it were alive,
But it’s dead;
They are dragging my body slowly
To the worm cage,
There is mud on my feet,

Thick, red and slipping.
I fall into an earth
Bald and burning,
I cannot undue death;
Stiffened in the throat of a grave.

Copyright © 11/18/18 lance sheridan®

I am death's opus

Advertisements

52 comments on “I am death’s opus

1. Wow! This is rather terrifying. By the end I had to wipe a few tears as my body shivered from the images this piece conjured up. 🤭

2. Elixir says:

Mr.Sheridan thank you very much for supporting me by following and liking!! I like your posts , hope to read all of them very soon!!

3. Tragic. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Lance!

4. No one can undo death, right? 😉

5. I’m awed by the beauty of this.

6. I havent read something so deep!!wow

7. “A new death a virgin
    Attended by a black rose.
    Oh, and I cry out against it,
    I am powerful, but to what extent?
    The victim thought he was god,”

Oh that anyone felt this way about the death and/or destruction that they cause. Powerful imagery, Lance. Not pleasant, but extremely powerful.

8. Such grimness and terror. Well, poetry is about all emotions, not just the pleasant ones. So I can’t say it’s beautiful, but it cuts to the core of the heart.

9. MOMENTS says:

You describe the beauty of horror and darkness with brilliant imagery, Lance. Some of your poems slightly remind me of Sylvia Plath’s, one of my favorite poets ever.

On the side of darkness and brilliant poetry there is also my favorite Catalan poet, Maria Mercè Marçal (I ignore if she has been translated into English). Marçal’s imagery is unique although she read Plath too, and was probably influenced by her poetry. You, although in a different way and obviously with your personal style, write about horror and death a bit similarly. For example, these lines:

“A dark mist has entered my soul,
    I enter into an hour of blankness.”

And also:

“They are dragging my body slowly
    To the worm cage,
    There is mud on my feet”

• Marta, what a marvelous joy it is to read your reviews, your exceptional work… Your support is tantamount to a writer’s inspiration. Sincerely appreciated, my friend. Thank you!

• MOMENTS says:

You are always kindly welcome, Lance. I like to read and write comments about your excellent poetry, and it satisfies me that you appreciate what I do. You are a very inspiring poet and so are others I have found on WordPress. I have a lot to learn from you all. For the time being I am just attempting to put down in words what I see, feel and think with each poem, story or book that I read, plus some very amateur writing attempts of my own. I love doing this. It is all therapy and pleasure.

• Therapy and pleasure is key… you’re an exceptionally gifted writer, Marta. I thoroughly enjoy your work and always am a better person after reading it. Thank you!

• MOMENTS says:

Wow, thank you so much! I am flattered. Me, a gifted writer in English which is just my third language? I guess my book reviews are well organized in themes and very clear. At least many people have said that. Perhaps I am better at prose than trying to write poetry? I have no idea.

• Marta, it is my sincere pleasure. You’re so very right- it’s all because of having confidence in your work!

10. harper1852 says:

I can’t remember the French words but orgasm in France is called (translation) small death.

11. stolzyblog says:

smile like a fish — wonderful 🙂

12. Equipping says:

Thanks for your like of my posts; you are very kind.

13. draculauren says:

Lots of “Ooo I wish I wrote that line” here! Great piece, very inspiring.