The tin of winter

In pale winter dawn
tongues of flakes
cease to speak;
birch trees stiffen into place,
waist-deep in a snowy mound.

Cold stalks through a sluice
of ice in a pond,
fish frozen in a swim,
hunger for a fisher’s hook,
prologue to a drown.

Blackened sky taunts
the clouded wind
anxious to drift
softly snow; headlong
into white reflections down.

On stilted legs, winter paints
a season long,
knowing not spring nor
summer warmth;
not haste for a thawing gaunt.

I remember that moment
and the cold wing,
when a dark sky emptied
its promise; you are so white
suddenly; endlessly snow.

Copyright © 12/02/18 lance sheridan®

The tin of winter

Andrew Wyeth

Advertisements

61 comments on “The tin of winter

1. kaddietucker says:

Brrrrr…very wintery. I can almost feel the cold. 🙂

2. While reading this I was transported there.

Lovely.

3. sebby holmes says:

Great poem. Very atmospheric. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes Sebby

4. Sensitive, deep and beautiful poetry! Thank you Lance!

5. Ética Hoje says:

Ola
    Como sempre,
    Muito bonito seu poema.
    O seu inverno me fez
    pensar no verão que
    Vai iniciar aqui
    no Brasil e que sempre
    são bem quentes
    Tudo de bom
    Luiz

6. Can I just put it on your radar to do “The din of spring” and “The sin of summer?”

7. Brilliant. I’m truly amazed by your writing

8. Lona Gynt says:

There are poems about winter that are really about the hope of spring (I just posted one), but Lance – this poem is about winter entrenching the world in a pitiless grasp, the moment has us literally frozen, not so much with the sense that it will last forever, but rather with what seems a fast knowledge that winter is all that there is period. And then the switch from describing winter to conversing (with winter? With another person? With the self?) conveying the cold sheet of wind and Ice that holds our narrator in its grasp.brutally transporting poem. The Wyeth is a fitting companion to the poem. Think I’ll go put another log on the fire

9. arlingwoman says:

Thanks for coming by my site and following. Your poetry is visual and mythic and full of forward motion. I like it. I’ll be back!

10. Brrrr. The reader can feel the icy breath of Winter in your words.

11. da-AL says:

beautiful & sparse, like winter 🙂

12. ssfrerking says:

It sounds like the view out my window, driving home, my bones ache with the birches. Glad to be reading this in pajamas covered in cats.

13. shrika Dhaka says:

every word, every line & also Title is Brilliant…..!!
    I got to learn a lot from your Poems, I first read and understood …Read your post from last four days 🙂 all poems are written in a very beautiful way !!

14. aphrodite smiles says:

You have flawlessly captured the essence of winter (for me) in this piece.. ❄️ : )

15. Susi Bocks says:

“when a dark sky emptied
    its promise; you are so white”
    Lovely, Lance!

16. aruna3 says:

Yeah.wonderful imagination.”it’s promise,you are so white suddenly endlessly snow”-an eternal truth.marvellous.