Body’s raw wound

The dark moon shadow stalks me down,
Its dust bags of light scar me;
In a touch, flesh, bone, blood quickens,
I pick off the worms, drunk from a lick.
I walk the night, haggard through the
White street lamps, singeing filaments
Cataract my eyes. Obscure vision

Corkscrewing down storm drains. And the
Shadow, like a black wolf, each paw on
Me a brier; my doom consummates a bodily need;
It snares me, hungry, hungry. It eats
To satisfy a need, I am gutted to an undertaker.
Blood floods to a spot, purple; the rest of me
Is whitewash board, stiff as I crawl down a sidewalk.

Its tread is a weighted enemy, my heart shuts,
It peels me like linen; its breath anesthetizes and shoves
Me into a bad dream. It feels like hell;
Charred and ravened in snarled thickets of ash.
I disappoint them, I pray for a heaven,
To a god. This earth I rise from, let my soul writhe in like dew.
I am stepping from this skin, featureless into eternity.

Copyright © 08/14/18 lance sheridan®

2db744c6-7040-4cdb-a896-ae602b34abae

This entry was posted in Poetry.

40 comments on “Body’s raw wound

1. aphrodite smiles says:

“…featureless into eternity” – this line is so peaceful.. nice way to wrap it up. : )

2. Whew! The grim mood of death is well expressed here. Still, light and love seem to win at the end..

3. Bonsoir un sublime texte noir et la fois lumineux surtout dans la chute bravo

4. dourdan says:

when i first read this i thought it sounded like a suicidal person, but on 2nd read it sounds like a zombie movie.

🙂

As the same for me dear Friend, floating 👍✌

6. I always have to contemplate your thoughts, so skillfull written of life after death and prior to passing into spirit the experience of the spirit as it hovers around the corpse before cremation. The last plea to rise to heaven to be released from the earthly ties.

7. I didn’t see a contact page on your site so I hope you don’t mine me asking this here, but have you started a second blog?

8. Mary Mangee says:

Chilling to be on death’s doorstep. So well written Lance.

9. Lona Gynt says:

Oh Lance, one of my favorites, may I post link to my review? So chilling and precisely alive to be this wolf again.

10. mylilplace says:

Love this. I feel every word in this poem. Wonderful job!

11. wherever you getting your inspiration from?

12. From where you are getting inspiration?