Reed in a frozen pond

Snow comes sifting down, layer after layer
To the bower of this reedy pond.
Overhead, the umbrella of winter
A chastely figure, augured in white lines,
Covers the clapboard grasses.

The wind stiffens into place over ice,
How its voice howls, how it blots up
The bones of water, shadows of fish;
Its black bunched fingers tug at me-
For a warmth, I seek the frog-mouth liquor.

I become a blunt, clumsy stumbler,
So slow against all that numbing;
I sink into a caul of forgetfulness,
Drowsy in a cold womb,
Slow effacement at the snow’s hand.

Winter’s mid-wife slaps my footsoles,
My nakedness is mirrored on frozen pond,
I wake to listen: Spring whispers in my ear-
I am a new statue in thawing air; the window
Square of warmth brightens, swallows the cold.

reedinafrozenpond

45 comments on “Reed in a frozen pond

1. inhiscare753 says:

Aww…Absolutely a beautifully written work of Art. Each word describing this Winter ❄️ Wonder as I Tiptoed along journey.
    InHisCare🙏
    Yonnie 💜

2. C’est un chef d’oeuvre bien écrit et imaginatif j’adore

3. Mary Mangee says:

The way you put words together is like butter melting in my mouth. Absolutely wonderful writing

4. Isha Garg says:

This is beyond poetry – this is soul stirring art!

5. Noellie says:

I love the expression. ‘Winter’s mid-wife slaps my footsoles,’
    wonderful words. Thank you for posting

6. Your words gives all the perfection required.

7. The winter sentiments are so poignantly expressed . Lovely poem.

8. Hey,

I’m working on my debut poetry book.

I am preparing a mailing list. Would you like me to add your e-mail address please?

If so, can you share it with me?

I don’t plan to do it like hard core promotion, I will be e-mailing you privately not through any software.

I will just inform you when it’s available and when there is some huge fluctuation in price (sale etc.), as on WordPress reader, posts get lost in stampede.

I won’t be mailing you more than 4 to 5 times a year, and that’s max.

Won’t bother you with unnecessary e-mails, promise!

And if you want it to share it privately you can do that through contact form on my blog.

9. Barbara Kasey Smith says:

What do I expect when I read your poetry, “greatness,” because it is always pure as a drink of moonshine – this has exploding images that grab the senses of building a beautiful snowy scene. I loved this Lance – Great!! Barb:)

10. Lovely imagery and powerful personification – the words spring to life!

11. Amazing! very beautiful. Dear Lance when I’m very tired in the middle of the job and come to your beautiful poetry and writing, I feel comfortable and happy. you know why? Because of the human atmosphere and the beautiful narrative of nature and human emotions.

12. Lona Gynt says:

Those times when we are frozen, when life does not even simmer, but just lies is abeyance, it may be merely the hope it not the bare perception that “the square of warmth brightens” that separates us from the icy grip. Lance, your artistic empathy seems boundless, you are everything in creation. This poem is instantly dear to me, it swallows the cold. It might just save a life someday. Thank you my friend.

13. Lona Gynt says:

The tears it brings are not yet frozen