Memoirs of a blueberry picker

They called the place the lookout sea,
Fountains of waves
A salt mist in blue sky aloft,
Clouds passing through Saturday mornings
Honey air, we walked a sandy path
With tin pails in hand;
Well water kept us cool as we picked
Bushel after bushel of plump blueberries.

Blue lips and fingers, a spider’s web,
A bee’s wing,
Dragonflies nipping and tucking, arising,
Noon sun casting our shadows;
Kindled my love for a season.
Gulls dragging their beaks in a tidal pool with water that
Had a brackish taste, the tang of a river sea;
Sandpipers scurrying through fen and thickets.

And so, together, with my sisters and brothers,
We gathered till the dusk came rising;
Pies and jams quenching our taste for a fruit.
We walked, and I still walk there,
Though the blueberry plants are barren save for
Fond memories; I oft hear joyful voices,
Hear tin pails clanging
Culling a harvest; our childhoods nourished.

Copyright © 02/23/18 lance sheridan®

memoirs-of-a-blueberry-picker

This entry was posted in Poetry.

65 comments on “Memoirs of a blueberry picker

1. Excellent. This is a marvel. Loved it. ☺️

2. msjadeli says:

Beautiful remembrance and a perfect picture to go with it.

3. Beau souvenir le bleu de la mer, dans le sable blond chaque pas laissant l’empreinte de l’instant que le vent balayera, voleur de l’art naturel des pieds voyageurs …..
    Gourmandise d’enfance accompagné du chant des mouettes aux murmures des vagues que le cœur a garder graver sur la pierre d’une âme d’enfant
    Mon ressenti d’une belle lecture
    Douce soirée amitiés
    Béa

• Beatrice, thank you so sincerely for your wonderful comment on my poem. It is very much appreciated. Have a good evening.

• Beau souvenir
      Le bleu de la mer et du ciel harmonieux
      Dans le sable blond chaque pas laissant l’empreinte de l’instant que le vent balayera, voleur de l’art naturel des pieds voyageurs …..
      Gourmandise d’enfance accompagnée du chant des mouettes aux murmures des vagues que le cœur a gardé graver sur la pierre d’une âme d’enfant
      Mon ressenti d’une belle lecture
      Douce soirée amitiés
      Béa

4. Beautifully visual and nostalgic Lance!

5. Carly says:

Simply beautiful, Lance! 🙂

6. Barbara Kasey Smith says:

Lance, I know I’ve not been able to read your poetry here-of-late but promise, I’ll be back up and reading soon – eye problems!!! This has such wonderful images capturing this readers senses to imagine unbelievable memories of a past when I too picked blueberries. This is solid, with a good voice and it speaks and demonstrates the art of blueberry picking – you’ve ACED another Dear Friend. Barb:)

• Barbara, wonderful having you back, my friend. So very sorry to hear about your eye problems. I pray you’ll better!
      I’m always so very appreciative of your feedback and support of my work. I hope you’ll able to write again soon. Blessings.

7. RoseMarie says:

Absolutely beautiful Lance. The nostalgia is breathtaking in its beauty.

8. Francina says:

Very beautiful poem, I really like the images you created..

9. allenrizzi says:

Nicely crafted! It bring back memories of my childhood as well. Thanks!

Reblogged this on lampmagician and commented:
    The Memory Remains ❤

11. Isha Garg says:

Truly remarkable how your work comes from a place of such pristine purity, Lance.. I’ve been reading a few of your posts and they are moving in both their intricacy and intimacy. Such an honour to read you.

12. I truly love this one, Lance. Your imagery is, as always, marvelously on point, setting both mood and ambience. And I? I was blueberry picking along with you and your siblings.

13. librepaley says:

Makes me remember as a kid, pickingsomething like wild blueberries, called bilberries, on the moors where I grew up.

14. Kally says:

Took my breath away – both the words and the pic

This really is a great poem, Lance.

16. Takes me back to blackberry picking similar experience then home to wash them enjoy the lucious pies some with apple and some just blackberries. Autumn was a splendid time of harvest to stock up for winter. You paint beautiful visions with your words and the photo perfect choice.

17. I love your poems Lance! they’re beautiful, fresh, with a lively atmosphere. Keep up the great job!

18. Wonderful poem! I have many fond memories of picking blueberries and huckleberries during the summer months! Thank you for this post!!

19. ssfrerking says:

I’ll bet this brought up memories for many readers. I’m reminded of summer afternoons with my mom and friends, filling buckets with chokecherries in the pasture.

20. Lucia says:

You have painted with great talent, a beautiful picture in our mind.

21. Nika says:

We pick Blackberries where I live. Beautiful story. 💜

22. Brought a smile to my lips. Enjoyed this thoroughly all by myself. The vividness of the description suggests a true experience. Childhood always lets our thoughts soar, freed from today yet can’t travel there except from memories.