A fish story

I am a sturgeon and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Smaller fish, fishhook, just as it is by taste or dislike.
I am slippery and wet- I am only being truthful;
Black-eyed, four seas cornered, I generally meditate.
My scales are slate grey, no wait, olive brown,
And did I tell you, they flicker in light and reflect it carefully;
I like to hide in shadows of waves when trawlers appear,
Searching my reaches for caviar- pickled roe on a silver plate;
I much rather be swimming in a lake with an alligator gar,
With bits of my caudal fin snug in its mouth- wait, what a terrible fish;
Its long snout with razor sharp teeth, I would rather be drowned!

A fish story

55 comments on “A fish story

1. And such a personality this sturgeon! Do I detect the touch of a subtle sense of humor?:)

I like lumpfish, cheap wine from a box and turkey bacon. You have far more class than I do. My dad sends me caviar ever so often. He can’t accept that I’m trashy. I eat the entire jar without crackers. Then get a bit sick. Have you had lumpfish?

3. weedjee says:

Wow a nice entry, a lovely sturgeon and long life and hats off to you

4. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

This is really good to read. 😃

5. Very amusing poem, on the thoughts of a Sturgeon, I have tasted caviar but not Sturgeon. He has so many choices of how to end his story.

6. “whatever I see I swallow..” that line, don’t know why feel like I have written too in my poem.
    A great piece.

7. Bonsoir Lances c’est original vraiment j’ai apprécié cette lecture et maître esturgeon peu que s’en trouver ravi lol
    Douce soirée bises ! amicalement
    Béa

Sincerely Thank You back dear Friend, “I would rather be dawned” 😊

9. A very very beautiful poem! Thank you!

10. Beautiful and deeply sensitive. Thanks a lot Lance

11. allenrizzi says:

I enjoyed it although at first it smelled a little fishy. 😉

12. A delightful read! Blessings, my friend!✨

13. floatinggold says:

What a humorous realization, Fish.
    Well done.

14. What a delightful whimsical piece, Lance. I love it.

15. Chiru says:

So sensitive poem..

16. I can really relate to this fish 🙂 I enjoyed this so much.

17. ortensia says:

And now that I concluded my lancesheridan evening catch up I can go to bed.
    Never stop writing Lance, you never fail your readers😀😍