The color of fog

It is a cold sea, a kelp of shades,
Tide rises to the rock level from black fathoms.
At the windowed shack, a fog is born,
A grayness assembles with the color of moths,
Envious gulls winging in discarded moonlight.

Fog consumes with a deep hunger,
Deep as a breakwater depth, its mouth sucking
The maundering wastes, silently in a darkening air;
It leaves the crabs to rattle, descending into the sea—
It thickens, wearing blue shells in uncoiled waves.

Fog is a courier for salty aphrodisiacs— for doddering
Ships, it leads them into amorous crags and jetties,
Metal bones for fish. And then the virgin tears,
Death knells in a cry for help; isolation for the drowned,
Withering in a durable grayness, face down in a sea.

Copyright © 03/31/2019 lance sheridan®

The color of fog

66 comments on “The color of fog

1. I was transported by your words to that fog in the sea. Thank you that instante of escape.

2. I was transported by your words to that fog in the sea. Thank you that instante of escape.

3. Erin says:

Your words sound like the fog that dementia creates. It rolls in and then out….until one day, the fog never exits.

4. Trizia says:

I have returned to live near the river of my childhood. The fog that drifts low in the valley is solid and silent. Beautiful and frightening. It speaks to my soul. Yet none more so than reading your words this is truly beautiful. Thank you.

5. I love your perception of the fog being an element of darkness which shrouds the land and sea flowing toward the old shack. The fog is a mental or visual block which deludes the sailor to the rocks the virgin tears are the new mariners who sail without knowledge. Sucked into the darkness of hidden reality.

I usually view fog as an uplifting element during the morning walking into another time and place. Creates an energy of mystery and magic. Envigorating to stroll through the hidden world which has come and landed on the Earth.

6. Such a description of the fog…as only you can do Lance..Beautiful and ominous:)

7. Such an amazing description! very beautiful! thanks Lance.

8. Such an amazing content and so well description of fog …. loved your content

9. Somewhat sad but altogether beautiful.

10. huguetta says:

Beautiful as always! As deep as the sea! Thank you for sharing

11. This poem rolls in like a blanket of fog. I love the use of colour and the language seems like a determined softness. Your poetry is one treasure after another.

12. RoseMarie says:

Beautiful as always, Lance 😊.

13. Rich vocabulary and metaphors. You described it like no other could. Beautiful Sir.

14. Pankanzy says:

Fog is a courier for salty aphrodisiacs— for doddering
    That’s Amazing…..!!!!

15. Pankanzy says:

Fog is a courier for salty aphrodisiacs— for doddering ,
    It’s Amazing & Beautiful..!!!😀

16. Bonjour Lance
    Ce brouillard là est exquis en votre muse au bord de la mer vos mots voguent au silence de la brume
    Douce semaine je t’embrasse amitiés poétiques

17. Fog will never be the same for me, after your poem.
    Thank you.

The colour of fog, fantastic ❤❤👍

19. Nika says:

Wow! Stunningly descriptive.

Have you been writing poetry your entire life?

20. ssfrerking says:

As I read this, the fog became a conscious entity, only the latest extension of something that has existed for aeons.

21. With your skillful weaving of words you’ve made fog gain a certain personality, albeit a formidable one. Really masterful.

22. Chiru says:

Wow.. Fog is a courier for salty aphrodisiacs…
    Amazing write up

23. MOMENTS says:

Beautifully written as always, Lance. I love the fog and how you describe everything here. Your poem reminded me of the fog in San Francisco, a place I hope to visit again in the summer.

24. Beautifully written!!

25. Fall Fraust says:

Poignant, melodic and vivid, like a dream that is haunting, yet you want to wander through it longer. I love the comments from your readers too – kind of like lovely love letters to you 🙂