Medusa

Of that myth of stony looks, and serpent-heads
With flickering glass tongues;
She, out of Eden’s twisted line,
Unnerving the head God boss,
Caused men’s eyes to roll back into white sockets;

Plied her wild self in lover’s shadows—
Dragged their savior hair, squeezed the blood
Fat and red from the veined bottles;
They hissed at her sins. And the snake-charmer,
Weary of coilings and the milk-teeth,

Cut off her white head while whistling a pliant tune;
And her bough broke, limbs breasted in a wood.
An evil device to human, to nothing like a snake–
A winged horse, glory ascends, poised as an arrow,
Riding the moonlight sky. Did she escape, I wonder?

Copyright © 04/12/2019 lance sheridan®

Medusa

53 comments on “Medusa

1. How interesting that Medusa’a only crime was to have beautiful hair and that many men courted her tor it. The real crime was envy and jealousy from Athena, who’s husband raped her!!…Medusa, alive, never killed anyone, but her decapitated head did..in the hands of Perseus, her beheader, who she worshiped.. Loved you poem and the subject

2. Regal Medusa was a beauty. Famed for intoxicating men with her head of snakes. Such a myth must have been created by a woman, one of jealous nature and had her killed and cursed. Her spirit escaped on the point of cutting her head off, this form of killing releases the spirit quickly. Medusa spirit was replaced with an evil Jezebel spirit to lure men.

3. RoseMarie says:

Oh, Lance. You’re such a spin-master of words, this take on Medusa is fabulous.

4. Enjoying the comments here as much as your poem.
    🙂

5. Medusa like Black Widow did indeed escape and will live to find other victims to love and kill until finally, uneventfully brought down. Medusa met her love match and wears the bruises to prove it; Black Widow a can of potent spider spray.

6. Very powerful images that put you in the middle of the storm.

despite the danger, wakening the Temptations! Great Poet again 🙏👍

8. nice poem. great images. black is powerful

9. denise421win says:

Wow, you are a great story teller, I nominated you for an award, I hope you will be a winner

10. denise421win says:

The person who nominated me said I should do a post like this one , so I thought it would be good for me to show it to you https://denise421win.wordpress.com/2019/04/13/excited-about-my-nomination-for-the-versatile-blogger-award/

11. Nika says:

Magnificent description!

12. I think…..wow!!!! Amazing ideas 🌷⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

13. Glorious! You make her seem like the most beautiful creature. I can almost see Pegasus riding into the moonlight now …….

14. mylilplace says:

Thanks to this poem, I read up more on Medusa. I particularly like the detail of the glass tongues, portrayal of Medusa as a deadly lover and most of all, her survival in the birth of Pegasus. Amazing stuff you got here, Lance.

15. neseknows says:

Amazing artistry with your wordplay. I enjoyed reading your own twist to an old tale of tales.

16. almerighi says:

Di quel mito di sguardi sassosi e teste di serpente
    con lingue di vetro tremolanti;
    Ella, fuori dalla linea contorta di Eden,
    Unnerving the head Capo di Dio, fece
    ruotare gli occhi degli uomini nelle prese bianche;

Colpita il suo selvaggio sé nelle ombre dell’amante-
    Trascinava i capelli del loro salvatore, spremeva il sangue
    Grasso e rosso dalle bottiglie venate;
    Hanno sibilato per i suoi peccati. E l’incantatore di serpenti,
    stanco delle balene e dei denti da latte,

Taglia la sua testa bianca mentre fischietta una melodia flessibile;
    E il suo ramo si spezzò, le membra avvolte in un bosco.
    Un dispositivo malvagio per l’umano, per nulla simile a un serpente:
    un cavallo alato, la gloria ascende, pronta come una freccia,
    cavalcando il cielo chiaro di luna. È fuggita, mi chiedo?

sei un grande Lance!

17. Susi Bocks says:

I believe there’s a little Medusa in all of us, men and women, or? Nicely done, Lance.