The virgin queen bee

A garden of daisies mouthing for air. White
Speckled petals dilate in the sun, peeling
Back the morning dew. The bees encroach,
Circle and circle, a well of pollen collected
For a virgin queen in a combed frock hive,

Her heart chaste, sister of a monotonous drone.

Her wings trumpet open to the buzzing of her subjects;
The golden honey drips its sticky fluid down.
In her chambered boudoir, streaked with orange and brown,
Suitors nod their stingers, potent as kings to father a dynasty;
A fruit that is bitter to taste: dark flesh, heads off:

All coffined to swarming ants, hungrily clambering, awaiting death.

Copyright © 04/24/2019 lance sheridan®

The virgin queen bee

70 comments on “The virgin queen bee

1. Enigmatic! The last lines take us from the idyllic opening to the closing of death. As always, Lance,, thought provoking and beautifully written.

2. A delight to read and feast upon! In the last month of spring, the red queen has arrived. Excellent!

3. Patty Magyar says:

I don’t really like reading much poetry but I am getting addicted to yours…they aren’t overwhelming…and I can visualize them!

4. Ahh the buzz of spring and sacrifice! 🙂

5. Fascinating and enigmatic! You certainly have a way with words, Mr. Sheridan! A way I admire and adore! ❤️

6. Another poem of yours that I love. My favourite lines in this are the opening ones about daisies. So beautiful.

7. Magnificent! The majestic nature of the queen bee is well brought out here.

8. blindzanygirl says:

Wow. This is brilliant. Sumner is here.

9. Lance, this is brilliant. I would like very much to reblog it at House of Heart. Please let me know if that would be okay.

10. Reblogged this on House of Heart and commented:
    Brilliant!

This is a lovely poem. I usually hate poetry–minus the Haiku, as I was forced to write a lot of it, and all it did was trap me in my feelings. It’s good you can hold onto the world. Some go mad. I can only write short stories. My novels suck. My poetry is word salad.

12. Fiery K. says:

The bee is one of my spirit guides, this is a great poem! Love the pic at the bottom too.

13. Nima Mohan says:

“A garden of daisies mouthing for air. White
    Speckled petals dilate in the sun, peeling
    Back the morning dew”

Such beautiful lines !! I stumbled upon this poetry and was glued to this !!
    Loved it !!! Such an addicting way of writing you possess !!

14. The Bee is so precious and in much need of natural nectar which the daisies freely give their pollen. Her Regalness in choice of King to create future generations of Bees. The ants swarming did not please me.

15. Chiru says:

The title dragged me in then its the beautiful poem.. Amazing write up..

16. Mystery and poetry of the hive are well expressed in your beautiful poetry.

17. Angela Cohan says:

Beautiful and evocative poem.

18. Watt says:

Wow! This is impossibly good!! 😊

19. mel says:

Beautiful art of words as always! That’s why I have nominated you for Mystery Blogger Award! Congratulations Lance!

20. Very suggesting that relationship between the flower and the bee, a passion metaphore.

21. mylilplace says:

You never cease to amaze me, Lance..

22. ortensia says:

A such delightful read…..and posted on the day of my birthday…it might became my favorite 😉

23. Poetically in-depth with a nice flow and story. I enjoyed this buzz love.

24. I must admit this wasn’t what I was expecting when I clicked on the link but was pleasantly surprised nonetheless (Im not a big poetry fan)