Black umbrella in rainy weather

Through thick rainy weather
A girl sidles, fingers bent on an
Umbrella handle as if caught
In an unhappy circumstance
That might merely by its continuing
Attach her to a blowhard wind.

In the storm eye’s envious corner
Her wet shoes draining on a shadowy
Figure trying to stay dry, but the rain
Gusts steal its dull color; while bruit of
Sunlight calls out a thunderhead whose
Tongue back talks like a rain-soaked raven.

Cleaving inclement air
Over her dampened spirits, no sun
Rivals its downpour look; conceit
Like a divining rod in a shrined yard
Searching for holy water; it
Waylays the girl’s church-going.

Against hymnal and prayer
This malevolent storm sets
Forty-days enough to distract
A religious thought; she is desperate
For a sacrament, a rosary, any
Hail Mary to dissipate this leviathan’s wetting.

Copyright © 05/01/2019 lance sheridan®

Black umbrella in rainy weather

29 comments on “Black umbrella in rainy weather

Very deep, a call to waking up and how the world works.

2. I really liked the rhythm of this poem and how the enjambement contributes to that. It’s really beautiful!

3. almerighi says:

very gorgeous poem!

4. Oh I’ve been caught in storms like that, Lance; my first spring deluge in Sacramento, California. I used to think inverted umbrellas were the invention of comic writers. Not so. That poor ole umbrella turned inside out allowing the storm to pelt me into a sodden, sniffling, sneezing, coughing mess. Fantastic imagery, my friend. You caught the thrashing fury of the storm beautifully

• I’m sincerely grateful and appreciative, Barbara, for your thoughtfulness, your wonderful stories, and support of my poetry. Thank you, my friend. Blessings.

5. Barbara Kasey Smith says:

Lance, this took me right into the middle of a terrible rainstorm caused me to escape into action I’ve often had walking to work in a storm. The images here are magical building memories of a person’s own experience. Great, great, job Lance! You’ve ACED this one! Barb:)

• Barbara, I’m forever grateful and appreciative for your friendship, your thoughtfulness, inspiration, and wonderful support of my poetry. And especially, I hope you’re doing well! Blessings.

6. Marta Pinhao says:

¡hermoso! Abrazote.

7. Jessy B. says:

This was beautiful!

8. gaiainaction says:

I too enjoyed the rhythm of this poem, could hear myself reading it aloud and enjoying it. Good for the soul.

9. Devon Brock says:

Lance,

I enjoyed this poem thoroughly, but at the same time, I get this unsettling sense of young girl being abused by an older man. All the clues are there for that interpretation, even if you hadn’t intended upon it.

D