Sculptress

To her life, the cracked white sculpted face,
Nude as Cleopatra in a beggared body;
Fed the bad dreams by a priest’s hand,
The flimsy sermon and the bald angel stone.

She lives in an inane world of wind and clouds,
Restive woods with sap leaking from the bark-vents;
At the count of two, darkness and she does
Not know a thing, watches for a cumbrous moon eclipse.

The bronze dead light flickers like a nightmare
Until the sculptress chisels away a look easy as paper,
Her fingers are buried in the dead plaster;
The skin does not have roots. It withers like a dark secret.

Copyright © 05/07/2019 lance sheridan®

Sculptress

61 comments on “Sculptress

1. dourdan says:

interesting visuals.
    my interpretation is that this is about an abuse victim.
    ?

2. francisashis says:

Awesome poem,thank you so much sir for sharing this lovely post.

3. Silent Hour says:

It made me think of madness. Always interesting to read your work. And a pleasure!

4. Very interesting poem with the fantastic image…

Yes, have her listen to some musical notes in a crowd. Evanescence is a great way to attract the “them.” As if things aren’t bad enough already for the girl in your poem. Then she gets a lobotomy while everyone else lives freely. She has some odd stalker issue.

I didn’t even listen to her lyrics for a long time. I liked the dramatic notes, Celtic, new age and opera. You can ask a friend of mine how much she loves to come into the room when the “Spanish Lady” comes on, and I got caught jumping around naked.

7. 🙏🏻💜💦☀️🌈🧚‍♀️

8. “…the bald angel stone” made me giggle.

9. I like this piece because I’m able to visualize what the words are coming together to mean. Sometimes those we love and or revere hurt us the most

10. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog post and like them😀

11. Awesome poetic words so well composed, Lance and the picture was perfect.

A wonderful way to explore an Art within an Art, that’s creating 👍❤

13. I love the words, transitionings with visuals.

14. I love the way you bring to life statues.

15. She’s got everything she needs. She’s an artist. She don’t look back.

16. This is very moving, unsettling and profound!

17. Isha Garg says:

Your poetry is iconic in its intensity, Lance.
    I feel lucky to read your work!

18. Enjoyed my evening read, loved the poem 🙂

19. Lance, this image as it describes the damage of abuse is so haunting and moving. I imagine a weathered and tattered sculpture, cracked by life and standing alone in a desolate landscape. A hand outstretched that makes one kneel down and want to cry…

What an incredible poem.

20. mylilplace says:

I feel terribly sad reading this..and what an apt image to accompany the poem.

21. Rashi Singh says:

Fantastic imagery and a lovely rhythm. Loved it.

22. This is powerfully evocative of the scars left by child abuse. Thank you for writing about the subject, Lance.