Now it’s time to say goodnight

I sleep in the metropolis of twilight,
Colossal moon, catacombs of stars,
Dreams pinned to a deep well bottom,
To the hollows of the lunar night.

A lamp. Six-sided white to guide, touching
And melting the darkness it collects.
I ride on the warm wind feather and rain wet
Plumage through my rem sleep, down the

Blackened crevice where crickets congregate;
A worried, exhausted orchestra burdened to
Fiddle while the moon’s aglow. I am a woman
Of silence in a sleep and end of an endless dream.

Through a slotted window, first light bellied like a fig.
And beyond dew’s blossom and a pastoral scene,
The enchantment of day and fluted reeds in golden pond.
The air is sweet and lazy and I perchance to dream; am I
Worthy as the night begins to walk and makes fresh my sleep?

Crisp and quick the white light daylight folds, the twilight
Restoring. Jeweled stars gilded by moonlight veil the dark.
The wind shakes a thousand whispers exiled by the dawn.
And after their freedom, my sleep begins to whirl, whirls into
A dream. A dream-crossed twilight, the ivory gates of night.

Now it's time to say goodnight

48 comments on “Now it’s time to say goodnight

1. Trizia says:

This …. This speaks to my soul and yet I am asking myself Why? … Beautiful. Wonderful. Evocative.

2. Watt says:

Masterfully executed!

3. Ahh the sound of crickets in the summer…lovely, dreamy.

4. Angela Jelf says:

Such beautiful imagery conjured up by your exquisite word weaving!

5. Exquisite description of the night. A really dreamy poem.

6. Beautiful post of night-time. Ah the crickets my house has had at least a hundred on the walls of dimly light. Blessings these ancient creatures bring. The lady who floats on high across the sky on her raven or crow through the bejeweled starry night sky. Just conjures so much soul imagery.

Still a few hours, before going to bed…
    …but nonetheless, an excellent work, again.

8. Beautiful poem. Those powerful words shine both from meaning and from beauty.And is there a better time to find in yourself and in you poetry the epitome of perfection than nighttime!

Interesting. It’s a soothing poem.

10. librepaley says:

This made me feel and smell the night.

11. Lance…your poems are very beautiful. I to fell the sensations of the methafors in my soul. HUGS

12. I’m all but wordless in awe, Lance. The imagery is impossibly brilliant, “first light bellied like a fig” as only one example. Beyond craftsmanship, this poem is the essence of falling asleep into dreams. Thank you for putting it into words.

13. A wonderful dreamy poem – and so is the picture! Many thanks, Elisa

14. Very evocative Lance. I just love this line, “Worthy as the night begins to walk and makes fresh my sleep?”

15. Joana Alaves says:

Extraordinary poem about the night 👍👍

16. Captivated from the first line “a metropolis of twilight.”. Love the way this flows, your writing is an inspiration.

17. Lucia says:

Beautiful writing, l love it.

18. schoolofblue says:

The air is sweet and lazy and I perchance to dream – hugely evocative