Religious objects

A church, that is a blind religion
A kind in a bible and a Holy Ghost
A specter and nothing strange in a
White sheet color and an arrangement
In a sermon to finger pointing-
All this and ordinary nails and a crucifixion.

It was all decided yesterday-
The loincloth color is chosen
And the spitting god image and perhaps
A holy water washing
Certainly glittering and handsome
And quite becoming
A sight, a whole sight and a little mourning.

Perhaps the whole death thing is a
Bit extreme, and very likely
The little things could be held dearer
Than a wanton sacrifice
(In the event of an emergency, break
glass and don feather and cotton robe);

To be worn with rosary beads. A prayer-
It connects the white and black heaven
(whiter and not coal color; never more coal color than slighter).
This is the best preparation for meeting with the three.
The father, the son and someone.
It makes belief and atonement a bit fuller.

Copyright © 07/13/2019 lance sheridan®

Religious objects

32 comments on “Religious objects

1. Your creative words add meaning and yet some fun with – in case of an emergency? I question what the emergency fire or lost soul. I love God and Jesus Christ but fail to find them in any church or religious building. Though for some as you say it helps them in their search as the church it gives some kind of meaning a crutch to hold on to where they are told how to see and feel.

Interesting poem. I believe in God but not the afterlife. I also don’t believe in a personal God. I’m too trivial. I decided to go to church for a few reasons. One, it’s a heritage thing in the US, and several of laws we have were influenced by it and culture. I don’t know enough religion to relate to my country, and I need to expand my knowledge base about religion for writing. The only thing I’m worried about is communion because I almost threw up in the VA church service after doing that.

3. What a profound piece.

4. Enigmatic, full of wonderful phrases, “In the event of an emergency, break glass…) The father, the son,and someone.” Your hints and glimpses into your mind, open our own on the subject. Really unique how you do that Lance!

Sorry if my comment offended you. 😦 It’s a good poem. What inspired you?

6. The Pensieve says:

Wow. This actually sounded somewhat like a piece out of the old testament. (I really mean no disrespect towards the Bible. I am not a Christian by religion. So I am just saying this by whatever random verses I have come across.) It has that aura of mystique yet profound knowledge… Well done! 🙌

7. Trizia says:

Oh how this speaks to the terrified Catholic child I once was, to the new age dreamer I became and as I smile wryly and a little bit cheekily because finally at last ( oh how I hope so! ) the spiritual woman I am becoming! Your words reach deep always and because of that a lesson is learned sometimes unexpectedly but always profoundly by this reader. Thank you.

8. ssfrerking says:

So deep and incisive yet humorous in places. Thank you for this.

9. allenrizzi says:

A tough subject that was handled beautifully. Complimenti….

10. ab nach Hause says:

Fantastic poem, Lance.

11. An amazing poem! Thank you Lance for your fantastic creation.

12. Kally says:

Love this poem. You have a way with words.

13. Impressive!
    Beautifully done. Your Words are always so fantastic!
    Greetings from the beautiful Rhine-Highlands / Gemany….
    Rosie