Wandering between two worlds

Through rocky crag the thick wind blows,
Thick the heather darken rounds,
Past the iron fog disused, the muted bridge
I cross; slow the mule track I wander-
Through forest, through valley soft-suffused.

The autumnal evening far down, with strangled
Sound, doth the rivulet complain; where the mist
Swift rush the spectral vapors white, past
Outcropping’s scars with ragged pines, then
Blotting from my sight; through cloud drifts wet

And drear, the Bothy doth appear on higher mounts
Up the ancient encircling glen; I gaze- through the
Showery twilight grey, what slated roof for shelter;
Approach, for what I seek is here; alight with sword
And battle ax, a gallóglaigh, stone-carved basin cold.

Silence, with no organ peal, I knelt, then rose from
Dirt worn floor where he sleeps, that wooded bed-
Which shall be his coffin, death in life; and what
Am I, that I am here? A knight, purged in faith, at
Whose behest long ago possessed my soul again.

N26 Wandering between two worlds

55 comments on “Wandering between two worlds

1. weedjee says:

Could be in a place of the highlands in Scotland. Nice and autumn a nice season to read books and authors as you. Long life to poems and playing organ music with bagpipes!

2. Congratulations for your “poésie”, Lance.

3. allenrizzi says:

Great imagery Lance! Loved it!

4. RM Weldon says:

A warrior knight sublime – restored of faith where once he was blind. Beautiful.

5. Excellent 👍 👍👍 poetry and a super imagination, Lance. Too good

6. Impressionistic imagery and so lyrical…this is a flowing beauty Lance!

7. Barbara Smith says:

Images implode within to heighten the scenes in every line, excellent writing! Barb:)

8. charef says:

Très belle description de sites revalorisés par votre plume poétique.

9. Devon Brock says:

Lance,

Let me say first that “Past the iron fog disused” is a wonderful line. This thought, that when we wander into old “bothies”, we cannot help to be drawn into the world in which that house was built. It is foreign, yes, but we cannot help but smell the history there.

D

Interesting and dimensional!

11. Silent Hour says:

Not just a poem — a journey. Perfect for this autumn day.

12. An Autumnal journey starting with thick fog is a must in the eerie lands where knights once trod. You seem to connect your own spirit to the one of long ago who still walks the land.

13. NZain says:

“Bothy” learned a new word today. This piece is most epic, Lance!

14. You are a sorcerer, Lance. This conjured visions of Cathy and Heathcliff on the moors of “Wuthering Heights”. He says to her, “You teach me now how cruel you’ve been — cruel and false! Why did you despise me? Why did you betray your own heart, Cathy? I have not one word of comfort. You deserve this. You have killed yourself. Yes, you may kiss me, and cry; and wring out my kisses and tears: they’ll blight you — they’ll damn you. You loved me — then what right had you to leave me?”

• Anna, I’m very flattered. You have my utmost gratitude and appreciation for your wonderful thoughtfulness. I thoroughly enjoyed your reference to “Wuthering Heights.” Blessings, my friend.

15. Dear Lance, I’ve also been reminded of “Wuthering Heights”. Your poem is very dramatic and somewhat gloomy – and yet enticing in its beauty. Thank your very much, Elizabeth

16. Chocoviv says:

Reminds me of knights…

17. Very visually evocative!

18. Kally says:

I admire your imagination! Blown me away.

19. Wonderful imagination! great describing!

20. To relieve the tiredness of long work, I once again read this beautiful poem of yours. Really great and unique. You do magic with words! Many thanks Lance!

21. Fall Fraust says:

Such care taken to create this beautiful world in which readers get to immerse themselves.

22. Mizou says: