When the white dawn first

Let the wild, thronging train of waves in
Their misted procession of eddying forms,
Sweep through my soul.
Is this then dawn as thick beads of clouds
Cluster above the agate stoned shore.

On white shoulders of sand, deep cupped
The night-wind routs through the portico of
Morn, all drenched in dew.
Come forth sun, to the ivy-wreathed horizon,
Of thy cup, the bright glancing vines light

Furrows into the sea; here and there, harnessed
Into tides; the clay-laden lonely streams-
Sandbars at the prow, guides them in long robes
Of ivory; long-heaving, violent sea;
Like a loaded boat, it swings groaning.

In groping blindness comes a storm, the maddening
Swells. Scorned white hairs of lightning jutting,
Crawling like shadows. Oh, where are the echoing
Oars of seamen passing through the stems of
Darkness, startled in the unknown sea.

Through the rough planked ghostly images,
Up the sea valley-head, comes the dappled
Sunset, all drenched in wet. The sky all silent.
On horizon’s altar, this bowl. I drank and sunk
Down sleeping. More soft; aye, but to dream.

N29 When the white dawn first

52 comments on “When the white dawn first

1. RM Weldon says:

A beautiful visual experience painted with your words Lance. It blended well with my morning tea and sent me to the sea. Thank you!

2. Thank you for your beautiful mental pictures, Lance !

3. Excellent! actually you are a great poet Lance. I always enjoy to read your poems. Well done!

4. Isha Garg says:

Oh God, this felt like a journey in imagery..! Enchanted, as usual. I hope someday I can pen something close to the perfection your verses embody, Lance! You possess an admirable gift.

5. Ah it fills the senses and imagination the sea and the mist coming together in the early morning filling the soul and body with so much unworldly passion.

6. Stills says:

Breathtaking work.

7. weedjee says:

A perfect landscape with words… hats off!

8. I love the way you personify the various forces of Nature. It is as if you know her intimately.

9. Gosh, you never cease to draw me in with your beautiful words. Oh to write like you do!

10. Devon Brock says:

Lance,

Wonderful as always. I’ve been reading the first stanza both with and without the title of the piece as a part of it. With the title as the first line, you get a sense of causality. Without it, a certain surrender to the violence of the “sea” – life – and the question “Is this then dawn” – consciousness. What follows, again, in my reading is this long procession through life together in a loaded boat – the word “loaded” coming at me with a the subtext of a “rigged game”.

The “scorned white hairs of lightning” – the startling realization that comes with age that there is not much more than this. (Oh, yes I am so digging this poem), to that yearning for resilience against time and “sunset” – death. The closing line, that death is “more soft” than life, yes, “but to dream” was worth the journey.

Oh, to come home from a long day at work and find such a marvelous piece waiting to settle me into the evening.

D

• Devon, your feedback, review, thoughts on my poetry are tantamount to a steady progression of continued works. My deepest appreciation!

• Hi Lance,

I agree with Devon Brock who have left you a detailed comment. The imaginative and scenic quality of your poem here is as excellent as those of your other earlier poems that I read in the past. It seems that you are still as fascinated and haunted by the sea, as I distinctly remember reading your other poems of similar themes and subject matters.

It has been a while since I last commented on your blog. If you have been wondering about or noticing the scant presence of SoundEagle, then please kindly be informed that I have been away from the blogosphere for a long time until quite recently, as a result of having to deal with the daily demands of filial piety and caring duties, as explicated in the post lovingly crafted and published as a special eulogy entitled “Khai & Khim: For Always and Beyond Goodbye”, published at https://soundeagle.wordpress.com/2019/08/31/khai-khim-for-always-and-beyond-goodbye/

I look forward to your comment and feedback at the said eulogy. Please take your time to read it as it is very involved and multidisciplinary. Moreover, this multimedia eulogy is very extensive and will require some time to load. It is best viewed on the large screen of a desktop or laptop. By the way, there are several of my musical compositions and arrangements that you can savour in the eulogy there.

May you find this autumn very much to your liking and highly conducive to your writing and editing!

11. charef says:

L’orage précède toujours le beau temps. Poésie positive pleine d’espoir; Amitié.

12. Barbara Kasey Smith says:

When a writer weaves images in actuality it magnifies the intensity of the read! Excellent, My Dear Friend, this actually comes to life in the eyes of this reader! Barbara Kasey Smith

13. connetta says:

I love poems like this. Long enough to hold my attention and keep me reading.

14. What an impressive piece of work! So visual in it’s style and usage of words!

15. Kelly Curtis says:

Very nice Lance. Take care and thank you for visiting and following my blog.