How long can you run

In the white light of a candle, sainted Jesuits open the scripture book:
They lash out at the long tongue liars-
The Ignatius man
The holy ghost
The big grave digger
A secular cleric in a church house shuffles on his angel feet
pelts these sinners with his dark milk speech:
how long can you run
run for a short time
whistles out his hounds to chase you down
His shovel with bullet-headed steel shoots the ground
a layman in the hole asks
how do you live here.

Walk in the dark and grab the iron gate
pull out your cards
and play the spades
God in the burial yard shouts, my hand is full of death
slams his hammer
down on your sacred earth
whistles out his hounds to chase you down
how long can you run
run for a short time
He summons up a Jesuit priest
shuffles on over on his angel feet
stones your heads with his dark milk speech:
Be damned you long tongue liars-
The Ignatius man
The holy ghost
The big grave digger
God’s going to strike you down
come nightfall you will be
in the dark hole ground.

What did you do? Desecrated the bible-
Seminated the night
The Jesus plight
The holy scriptures
Purloined and plucked the man born blind’s bread
drunk away his blessed red wine
Black, like a memory wound, stole the jewels
from the Curia crown land
gave seed to the catholic diocese
Rolled the day blind dice, the bones of your followers
rolled them into dead-end lives
In anger, the wrath of God hounds away your temptations
puts you in the dungeon of earth
And the pope soft-shoed on his angel feet
stoned you with his dark milk speech:
how long can you run
run for a short time.

How long can you run

60 comments on “How long can you run

1. Oh my Lance, what a powerful and rhythmically stunning poem! I loved your use of these lines:

“And the pope soft-shoed on his angel feet
    stoned you with his dark milk speech:”

“A secular cleric in a church house shuffles on his angel feet
    pelts these sinners with his dark milk speech:”

“…whistles out his hounds to chase you down
    His shovel with bullet-headed steel shoots the ground”

These lines make me see a moving video in my head..all in movement and captivating!! I almost want to sing it to a strumming guitar!!

This poem is one of my favorites, Lance!!

2. weedjee says:

Lance , when I read the work … it’s been a Long way down… your pencil is a magical wand 👍👍👍😊😊😊

Life is pointless. It’s best to keep busy and not think too much. Strife here is entertainment. We all go into the dark hole. Well, most people go into the hole. A few wander around a bit longer thanks to true feats and study.

4. I’m not sure I understand the meaning of the poem. In fact, I’m sure I don’t.

But I loved the cadence.

5. Devon Brock says:

Lance, great use of repetition here – it nails this piece together quite nicely (pun intended). And I love the angry tone that runs throughout. delivering a solid punch. Looking forward to next week’s burnt offerings.

D

6. Beautifully written definitely religious persecution of those imposing religion on others, in a do or die. How fast can you run to avoid the bullet and the hound dogs who will ravish you if you get caught. This was the method used for converting the so called “heathen” into Christianity. Definitely a religion of love and light.

7. Absolutely ~RAVISHING~💗

8. Thank you for your new poem, Lance !

9. A stinging indictment of religious persecution by the self-righteous.

Another brilliant poem. Thanks for sharing, Lance.

11. Merjim says:

An outstanding poem and a very good question, Lance.

12. It’s very beautiful poem! Well done Lance! Thank you!

13. The dark and foreboding imagery so expertly captures the sense of helplessness that comes when a persons soul is sacrificed only to appease anther’s beliefs. I can’t help but notice how it also relates to Indigenous residential schools from Canada’s past – so much abuse, trauma and separation from family, language and culture and all in God’s name. What a moving and thought provoking poem!

• I’m very appreciative and grateful for your wonderful thoughts, feedback and support of my poetry. Thank you! Religious persecution is inevitable when one society’s beliefs are different from another’s. Absolutely shameful.

Sometimes people think I don’t know they’re talking about me, like these people don’t realize they’re being chased, too, into the haunted grave. It’s annoying. As for punishments they’ve created, it’s blown out of proportion.

15. Strange how – in any religion – God, always merciful, always forgives, but men are quick to condemn and banish you to hell for perceived sins. Beautifully done, Lance, once again!

• Kunal, has been going on for centuries because of one race trying to shove their religious beliefs down another cultures throats. Thank you always for your inspiring thoughts and support.

16. allenrizzi says:

“They lash out at the long tongue liars-” Great line!

17. kevinkaz4 says:

This is the most complex simple passage!! So gorgeous! Thank you for this!

18. Superduque says:

We do not follow those who does not vote for us.
    You do not vote for us, we do not follow you …

19. Silvia says:

We do not follow those who does not vote for us.

20. As usual your imagery is astonishing. Having a brother in the ministry, condemning religious leaders are a thorn in my side. Outstanding write, though I admit sometimes I found myself lost.

21. RM Weldon says:

Lance, you are a magnificent artist with your words. Here, you paint the persecution of souls in an intriguing light. The visual generated by the line, ‘by his dark milk speech’ unfurled a vivid scene of the decimating witch trials and so much more. Thank you.