Take measure of your soul

The way inward and outward are the same,
it is common to all,
it is contained in our past and our present;
all of our time is a perpetual memory,
point to one end or another- an echo,
our thoughts are echoes in a world
of speculation.
To what purpose shall we follow them?
Are they no more than dead leaves-
the deception of trees
falling into the earthenware of our souls.

Look down into your drained pools of thought,
fill it with water from inside your head,
quickly, quickly;
and then a cloud passes and your
pool is empty again,
we cannot bear much reality-
what might have been,
what has been;
it is much like clots of mud in the saucers
of your veins,
circulate them, the scars which you carry;
they are neither flesh nor fleshness-
reconcile them with stitches.

We are still at the point, but do not call it
a fixity, it is more like a suffering relief,
a motion made explicit protecting us from
damnation (a weakness of our ever changing bodies);
it can be endured, but only in time.
A particular moment that allows us a
little consciousness-
the beat of rain on the tin of our bodies;
the cleansing of our souls.
Our bits of paper we carry around
like unwholesome lungs,
time before and time after.

The end and the beginning- lead us not into temptation,
only our cause can end its movement;
quick now, here, always-
shake the wainscot
of emotion, the loosened panes of doubt;
lean against a loved one in a warm haze.
Lift your feet from those clumsy shores of stimulants,
risk enchantment, stay away from the facades
of the unconscious.
What you own is not what you own,
your health is not a disease deteriorating
like a soundless wail.
Fruition, fulfillment, disown your past-
enfold into a new life.

@Take measure of your soul

71 comments on “Take measure of your soul

1. SnowHearT says:

New life; New beginning ❤️ It’s hit me 😮

2. Dreadfully sorry for the terrific news from U.SA. !
    Take care of you, Lance, and continue to send us your beautiful words !

3. This is beautiful, timely and nourishing food for the soul! Thank you Lance for sharing your soulful verses with us. Blessings always, Deborah.

4. weedjee says:

Stirring, al mighty, spellbound… soul the best essence from mankind… writing and forgetting baddie news from Covid-19 Take care Lance and relatives and take measure of the pandemic!

5. RM Weldon says:

A beautiful illustration of a stillpoint and it’s purpose.

6. Beautiful and profound, Lance.

• Thanks so sincerely, Anna. Blessings.

• It is only in retrospect that I see I have not always troubled to “like” your posts. Please, forgive me, Lance. This was not meant as a negative reflection on you. To the contrary, my oversight is actually a sort of left-handed compliment. I am often so engaged by the force of your work that I simply forget to hit the key.

• Perfectly understandable, Anna. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and wonderful support of my poetry. Blessings, my friend.

7. Barbara Kasey Smith says:

Lance, this writing fits human life perfectly, the images walked through this reader’s mind highlighting in a sense her own life. Memories of happenings and events are all that is left after we’ve lived our life. Excellent Writing Dear One. Barbara Kasey Smnith

8. Stills says:

A very unique read, indeed, Lance! Wise, too.

9. “Take measure of your soul.” Indeed. So beautifully written Lance.

10. MOMENTS says:

Profoundly philosophical about our existence and the very essence of our soul with its lights and shadows. I loved this poem, Lance. While there is suffering, you also shed a little light of hope here:

“we cannot bear much reality-
    what might have been,
    what has been;
    it is much like clots of mud in the saucers
    of your veins,
    circulate them, the scars which you carry;
    they are neither flesh nor fleshness-
    reconcile them with stitches.”

I like the idea of reconciling our scars with stitches. It is a lovely image that, as I said above, brings us hope. SCovid 19 is hitting and will continue to hit hard in the US, but also in Catalonia, where I live, and rest of Spain, the secondly most affected state in Europe after Italy and with 6.606 dead people so far. Stay strong and healthy, Lance!

• Marta, I’m so very grateful for your wonderfully inspiring response to my poem. Thank you.
      Yes, the viral pandemic will continue to hit hard. We’re a long way from recovery. I hope you and your loved ones are well and safe. And, thanks for your words of encouragement. Blessings, my friend.

11. NZain says:

🙏🏻💓🙏🏻

Interesting commands. I find most of life is nothing but entertainment, and the stimulation will be the fall of humanity. We are meant to think. Some can’t. others won’t. A precious few lead all of us along. I want us to evolve a new species to take over. I don’t like humans.

13. Comforting. Your word choices were really perfect.
    Fear is all encompassing and ruins any beauty we might find, tears to shreds any silver linings and tries to keep us focused on an ebb rather than the certainty of an upcoming flow.
    Wonderful ❤️

14. This beautiful poem makes people think. Words are magical! Thank you Lance!

15. The way inward and outward are the same,
    it is common to all,
    it is contained in our past and our present;
    all of our time is a perpetual memory,

Ah, Lance, so perfectly your imagery in those first lines sets the theme for your most illuminating poem. You ask questions that all men, at one time or another, ask of him/herself, then gather your words into one everlasting memory. Thank you, my friend.

• Barbara, very much appreciative and grateful for your response to my poem, as well as your wonderful support! I hope you and your family are safe and healthy. Take care, my friend.

• I can now safely say I’ve dodged a bullet. Yes, I had the coronavirus. It killed my ex-husband, sickened our children and grandchildren who came to visit him in the hospital, got me when the son who lives with me came home. So we’ve all come through it. Two of us, my son and I, barely doing so. But we are well. We are alive. I think I see a poem coming.

• So very sorry to hear… but very glad you’re both well! Yes, would be a good time to write. Blessings, my friend.

16. morgantarot says:

This is a beautifully written poem, I love the lines ‘Look down into your drained pools of thought,
    fill it with water from inside your head..’

17. Really enjoyed reading it. A unique perspective

Reblogged this on lampmagician and commented:
    your health is not a disease deteriorating
    like a soundless wail. Brilliant 🙏👍

19. Joana Alaves says:

Fabulous and profound words!!!🌸

20. Blaine Thompson says:

Powerful words and powerful imagery. You’re always teaching me something, Lance.

Wonderful words, Lance.
    Another great poem!

22. Isha Garg says:

You truly are one of the best writers I’ve read and will have an eternal audience, Lance! This was so moving… beautiful!