Reboot- I am vertical…

I would much rather be on Terra firma.
I am not a hedge with my roots running hither
In earthen soil, sucking up Artesian well water
With mineral derivatives and cemetery remnants—
So that each Spring I may gleam as a green leaf;
Nor am I the embodiment of a garden plowed
Attracting my fair share of grubs and crows,
Knowing I must soon unpetal.
Compared with me, a hedge is immortal,
And a vegetable-head’s shorter but more deserving,
I do insist on having one’s long life and the other’s bearing.

This night, in the infinitesimal bright of the neighbor’s light,
The hedge has gone to sleep
Yet, I stand aloft on this wooden ladder strewing sniffles and a cough—
I look rather pitiful, but no one seems to notice.
In between shivers, I dream of a nice warm bed,
Out here, in the cold, sleeping is rather difficult,
I rather resemble a large raccoon with dark circles under my eyes;
My thought processes are growing dim.
It is not natural to me being vertical on a ladder at quarter to three in the p.m.
I have even taken to striking up a conversation with a celestial owl.
So, for heaven’s sake, would someone come and throw me a lasso!

Copyright © 07/21/18 lance sheridan®
5FB50910-395B-49AE-9AB3-E9D3F54E8F01

This entry was posted in Poetry.

39 comments on “Reboot- I am vertical…

1. Really, are you a tree, Lance ? 😉
    Thanks a lot for your words !

2. Devon Brock says:

Great humor and defiance, Lance. Step down, step down. The pruning can wait until tomorrow. D

3. Jay Bleu says:

Oh yes, if only we could be on Terra firma. . .

4. NZain says:

The last two lines got me! Thanks for the chuckle, Lance!

5. Stills says:

Brilliant imagery, Lance!!

Great poem. I’m so thankful warmer weather is upon us.

7. Deb Farris says:

So perfectly appropriate for today. Such timeless prose you write, Lance.

Wow. Another brilliant work!

9. I feel I have read this one before… maybe back in 2018? but its imagery is so striking, tongue in cheek and drawing me in.. There is a surreal quality about this one (I have been using that word a lot these days:) But yes I agree…with others,,,please take that first step down.. the following ones will be less frightening! What a lovely 3am vignette, you tell Lance:)

• Karima, you probably have done so, and I’m (always) sincerely grateful, appreciative and thankful for your wonderful thoughts, generous support of my poetry. Stay safe. Blessings, my friend.

• Blessings and may your muse be quarantined in your same house…:):) and may you keep finding your unique words Lance that entertain us all!

• Thank you so very much, Karima. Staying in has become a necessity. Yet, the rewards are noteworthy- more writing. I hope you’re able to as well. And, thanks sincerely.

10. Waw! you are amazing poet Lance! Great work! Thank you!

11. Rather resemble a racoon with dark circles- some awesome metaphors and vocabulary at use. Keep blogging ✌

12. Isha Garg says:

The poem pulls one in right from the start and continues the powerful tone. Each poem of yours is a masterpiece, Lance. May you forever remain inspired.

• My utmost and deepest appreciation, Isha. Your thoughtfulness and wonderful support of my poetry is uplifting. Many, many thanks!

• Isha Garg says:

I honestly count myself lucky to have come across such writing. There’s something of the old bards, inspired, artistic – somewhere along the way of creating art, they BECOME it – and that to me is simply divine! Thanks to you for writing. There are not many writers who move me so, I’m afraid, so I must express my gratitude no matter how tedious it begins to seem 🙂

• You’re very kind, Isha. I’m very grateful you did. So lucky I discovered your work! And, it is a wonderful pleasure. Thank you!