Letter to my followers

Dear Friends,

As you know, I take my work very seriously, as we all should. This includes being completely dedicated to one’s art through reading and writing. In our journeys to become better writers, we meet fellow travelers along the way. Some with more experience than ourselves, some with less. It is up to each one of us to learn, as well as it is to help.
Unfortunately, not everyone who we encounter is gregarious. They may seem so at first, perhaps to advance their own position in the field of literary works by pretending to really ‘like’ our style, our writing. One such incident just occurred. I won’t go into the lengthy details, and although I was a bit weary of their claim to boost my poetic presence abroad, I agreed to have them proceed (this was why I had intended to put my efforts into this venture, to take time off from WordPress). It was a complete farce, a ruse.
I am deeply indebted to each and everyone of you for the beautiful thoughts and comments that you have written. Without your most generous support, there would be no poetry. You greatly inspire, uplift, teach, and motivate my writing. Thank you sincerely.

Warm wishes,
Lance

The Book of Isaiah

I am that which began, the soul of god,
equal and whole.
Yet, god changes the man,
his colored flesh,
his firm limbs,
much in the way he changed the land
and sea.

Out of me a woman, and the fruit,
and fate
forgotten as the plough of earth,
the dust which is god
wrought from water and iron,
communed and sold
to the peasants of Jerusalem.

They are neither prophets or poets,
nor a throne;
mothers forsake their children.
Their labor is the
red fruit of death, blood and breath;
servants to the lord,
slaves to the master.

The shadows of clouds furrow
a kingdom,
their darkness is in the bud of life;
pity and passion.
Worshiped as a sun until the
sun rose.
Its light is in the deep root of trees.

Its tongue is the winds tongue,
barren streams and
clay mud land,
death worms are below;
they have their part in me,
as I have my part in them,
it is a pilgrimage of death and life.

I have not need of prayer. I do not
behold that god made me;
his miracles are shod,
he trembles in heaven.
His anguish is here in Israel.
Our truths are slayed and unforgiven.

My beliefs are the seed of my soul,
equal and one with me.
My brethren are hostile, it beats
in the darkness,
their beliefs live in empty skins;
they clutch at an empty god.
I shall be glad of their deaths.

I am alone in the kingdom. My
misery is three thousand years of
unsheltered contempt.
Almighty, why have I shared the
shame of tyranny,
nailed to its cross- dark,
dead, unmeasured.

O Mighty god, insect or beast,
all-beholding heaven,
have you not heard my agony?
Alas, pain, pain forever.
Your ever piercing arrows have
burned cold into my bones.
In their hoar frost I kiss death.

How my soul, riven to its depth
with terror
gapes like hell within; no
exultation, for I hate no more.
My misery has made
me wise. God’s curse no longer
breathes on me.

The Book of Isaiah

203 comments on “Letter to my followers

1. What happened, Lance (if you can write it on wordpress).

2. I went through it too, Lance, which is why I made my blog private. Transparency first. I’m so sorry you had to go through it. Taking time off WP is probably the best decision you made.

• Bojana, have often thought about doing the same. I’m very appreciative of your thoughts and friendship. Thank you.

• You’re so right. There’s so much insincerity. I used to have 180 likes. Half of those people never asked for permission to see my blog, more than half never read a think of what I wrote. I have up to 40 likes now, and all of them interact. It’s a two-way street.

Trust me, I’ve never felt better and more comfortable about my writing. I know these people. I trust them. I and I alone decide who to let into my world. So, think about it. Just remember, you are in charge here.

• It’s all about sincerity and trust. As you say, being comfortable about your writing and being in charge- crucial to success.

3. João-Maria says:

It’s a pain, at times, especially when folks don’t understand that the price of this exposition is already too great.
    I’ve been plagiariased a few times, which still puzzles me to this day. Regardless, Lance, our art has greater purposes than those who seek to diminish us even conceive of.
    Much strength, fellow seeker.

• It can be, unfortunately. It’s why very few are truly successful. ‘Enemies are inevitable when one is a doer’. I completely agree, Joao-Maria, our art does have a greater picture. It’s how we express ourselves, our emotions. Thank you for your insightful words.

4. Linda Moon says:

My dear friend, I have walked beside you for many years and I have always treasured your presence. Though I may be silent, you are always with me in inspiration and love. Thank you for this ~🕊~

5. Barbara Kasey Smith says:

Lance, sorry for your pain, people will deceive, I always know the reason I write is not necessary to get anything published but to offer my thoughts that only I contain, write to improve upon the written word, and to appreciate the accolades that many get from my offerings. BTW: Your writings offer a reader fantastic images to explore, to realize there are other ways to use the wordage to show detail. This particular writing is loaded with great metaphors to excite the reader. Cheer up My Dear, I’ve had many incidences of wrongs, do not let it get you down, fight with all you have to obtain what you as an individual seek from your talents. Barb:)

6. Lance I am so sorry to hear your news and that you have been a victim of unscrupulous souls (The ones whose `’beliefs live in empty skins” Your poem is powerful and states so clearly your own beliefs and beautifully.
    My advice, if I may be so bold, is to write and write. Poets have the cure in their pens, for traumatic moments like this. Come back soon and share all your thoughts with those of us,(The Majority!) who truly do love and admire your poetic pen. As always, I wish you the very best and hope you will decide to return to WordPress again soon.

• Karima, so very kind and thoughtful of you- sincerely appreciated. Unfortunately, with the internet, illegitimacy is inevitable. We learn from it and move on… as you say, write and write. So very true. Thank you- I greatly admire your work here and on YouTube! Each work of yours is a masterpiece. I will be posting once again each Sunday. Thanks very much for wonderful encouragement, my dear friend. Blessings.

• Oh, thank you Lance, you inspire me too so much:) That’s what poetic friends can do for each other!! Looking forward to your Sunday poems and until you are back 100%. Thank you for your wonderful support of what I do too.:) It drives me to be more prolific and not be afraid to take chances:)

• Karima, my pleasure. Well-deserved! You’re absolutely right- so important for poets to do. Thank you, I’m honored. It’s always a wonderful joy to read your fabulous work! Always good to take leaps of faith. Blessings.

7. Silent Hour says:

I am very sorry you had this bad experience, Lance. I too have thought about turning my blog private. Maybe it’s the answer to keeping people who don’t really care away from your writing.

8. Beck says:

The poem was breathtaking. This is the first time I have read your work- I feel blessed now to have experienced it. Thank you for sharing your crafted gift.

9. So sorry about your experience, Lance.

10. Devon Brock says:

Lance, I found it hard to “like” your lastest posts on your leaving your blog behind. I have come to count on reading your work weekly. It is sad that those without integrity would seek to deceive, but they always will. Have you thought about working the journal circuit? The wait times can be frustrating, but at the very least, you will not be used.

D

11. Lori M-I says:

Sorry to hear about this disappointment. Keep your head up. Best regards.

12. gary j says:

Sorry you had that experience Lance, but no worry, the integrity and beauty of your work prevails and can not be denied. Take care mate.

13. Oops, that is indeed unprofessional. And unfortunate for you! Trust is integral to all relationships.
    But I hope your overall experience & interactions on WP have otherwise been more pleasant. I understand your wish to lie low for a while, take care, stay safe!

14. Singh Lovely says:

Such a nice post 👍🤗😁

I am so sorry that your pure soul has confronted the untrue and abusing side of some people. It is very sad but what can we do; only doing our honest work and hope that some will learn something good instead of evil. I must say here that I am very lucky to know you and have the chance to read and enjoy your works and friendship. You are much more worthy than this misfortunate people. Stay safe my dear Lance.

• Aladin, my deepest gratitude and sincere appreciation for your wonderfully uplifting and inspiring words. Yes, whenever we have a setback, it’s important to put it behind us and to keep moving forward! Thank you- stay safe and well, my good friend. Peace and light.

16. Janvi Arora says:

More power to you! 😊

Gracious with Gratitude dear Friend 🙏

18. librepaley says:

So sorry to hear this happened. You rise above it with your dignified and lovely words, the better person.

19. murisopsis says:

This poem is lush and full of the anguish that you must have felt at the betrayal of your trust and the trampling of your hopes. I feel that the poem goes through all the stages of grief and I’m hoping you have recovered from the deception. I’m a newcomer to your blog but I do look forward to what you write!

• I sincerely appreciate your thoughtfulness and kind support of my poetry. Yes, we all have our trials and tribulations throughout the course of our lives. Friends make it a lot easier to work through them. Thank you so very much! Peace and light.

20. Garima Puri says:

Amazing post sir 😊😊

21. Garima Puri says:

So tough life of you sir I really appreciate your work 😊😊

22. Marta Pinhao says:

Lance, siento mucho que hayas pasado por ésto. Pero mira siempre para adelante. Apreciamos muchos tus letras. Abrazote

23. NZain says:

Wow. But not unexpected. Too many out there just want to take from others what they don’t have inside themselves. Isn’t that always the way? Glad to have connected with you, Lance. Glad you are back.

24. You are unequaled, Lance. I am truly grieved that someone would have attacked you through your work. Of course, Satan will often attack us through our calling. That you have been attacked suggests you are reaching a large audience for good.

Please, know that I am praying for you and that you will come through this ordeal. “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil” (Eph. 6: 10-11).

May Got watch over you.

• Anna, you have my deepest gratitude, dear friend… one must often take the bad with the good. Evil will inevitably disguise itself to trick us, especially if we’re doing the right thing- helping others through our work.
      I could never express just how much that means to me. It gives me strength and encouragement. I am truly blessed by your wonderful friendship. Thank you! Peace and light.

• May God watch over and protect you, dear Anna.

25. I am very to know about your experience. Hope it doesn’t turn you off other WordPress bloggers.
    The poem is beautiful.

26. Baydreamer says:

Beautiful poem, as always, Lance, and I’m sorry to hear you had such a disheartening experience. It hurts to be betrayed, and then it’s hard to trust again. Take care and I hope it doesn’t happen again.

27. I’m so sorry about the scam, but very glad you continue to grace us with your writing talent! 🌟

28. I was so sorry to read your letter Lance. I think you are a great poet, I always enjoy your fantastic poems. One day your worthy poems will publish in all countries and translate to many languages. Stay safe and well my friend!

29. Mizou says:

Wonderful work Lance.

30. I just started following but I am touched by your words… I am so sorry about everything that happened. As a new blogger I am learning… Thanks for sharing this with us 🙏

• Zamadlomo, thank you sincerely. It’s the past now. Much better to move forward and learn, than to sit and worry. One must always be weary of deceit, especially on the internet. I wish you much success!

31. JT Twissel says:

Blogging is like gardening – sometimes the weeds gotta go. You’ve written some lovely phrases – I especially love “light in the deep root of trees.” Beautiful image it provokes (also would make a great title.)

32. sandomina says:

It so sad, deception always hurts. I sincerely hope that you would come back after taking your time off.
    Warm regards.

33. Joana Alaves says:

I’m sorry for your not good experience Lance, but I’m very happy you can write on WP. Joana

34. Era says:

Sorry to hear what you have to face

35. Lance, this makes me so sad. You were the very first person who followed my page and gave me the courage to keep writing and publishing. Sending you so much respect.

36. Lia says:

Yes there is some very tricky things that happen here on WP and in other places. Honestly at first it nearly broke me. Literally. Like nervous breakdown (intersection of my first two blogs). I started this blog to combat it or understand it or transform at least my feelings on it somehow. So good that we share the stories, it helps others know they’re not alone. Your poetry is intricate and literary as always, filled with old knowledge and honestly very deep to fathom, it takes care, it has beautiful turns of phrase within the agony and the ecstasy, and exposes its soul. Thanks for all of this. 💛

• Lia, so very glad you decided to stay- your contributions to the literary world are important, a key component in its success. You can always make your blog private. However, I feel that restricts the interaction between writers. Thank you very much for kind thoughts and support. And, it’s a great pleasure.

37. Sybille Lengauer says:

The best sign to leave the conversation (in my opinion) is when people start texting things like “time is money” or bragging about their importance in the business. When everything is seen as a competition, I lose interest.

38. Muralikrish says:

I’m very sorry for what happened to you. Take a break and come back soon.

39. Kally says:

So sorry to hear what happened to you. It feels horrible to be betrayed and stabbed in the back.

40. Lance, thank you for visiting my site. I am very new to blogging and want to be open with people, but I also want to try to avoid scammers. It seems that scammers are out to get people on all media. I have had a few unpleasant experiences, and I am sorry for what happened to you.

I look forward to reading more of your work.

Cheryl

41. John A Reyes says:

Oh my God! I thought I was crazy for thinking the same thing you just mentioned in this letter/post. Mr. Sheridan, bravo sir!

42. cbholganza says:

Get up, move on, take the lesson from the fall. we can all come out better from the experience, but only if we maintain a positive note of it. take good care, lance.

43. jiayali says:

Dear lance,your poem is truly wonderful, and this is my first visit to your blog and after seeing your works,I was truly feeling great to be a follower of you…Thank you so much for sharing such beautiful works with all of us at WordPress and I like them this much because I’m also a small tiny poet from my thoughts who is a lover of literature…😊😊👏👏

44. I was sorry to hear you had difficulties. Your poems are lovely.

45. -Eugenia says:

Lance, hopefully, your difficulties have been resolved as I write this. Personally, I am not very trusting of offers received via any type of social media and I’m sorry you had a disappointing experience. I self-published my ebooks through Amazon Publishing, which you might want to consider. Stay safe and thank you for following Eugi’s Causerie I.

• Eugenia, they have, thanks so sincerely for your thoughtfulness. That would certainly be a safer way to publish- very much appreciate your recommendation. It is a distinct pleasure… and sincere gratitude to you for your wonderful support!

46. 3bones says:

I had no idea that I would miss your writing until you visited my blog today and I, in turn, visited yours. I am pleased to hear that a resolution was achieved as I can now enjoy your future work. Welcome back …

• Very thoughtful and considerate of you to say so… it’s all behind me now. And, to coin a phrase- ‘Nothing shall deter me from my appointed rounds’. I’m extremely grateful for your follow your support!

47. usfman says:

Thank you for following my blog, Lance. Stay well.

48. agnecha says:

Thank you for this letter, for your words. You wrote a lot of wise thoughts in it and I needed it. It is sad that there are people who are trying to use our work for their benefit. It is discouraging, but it’s good that you didn’t give up 🙂 and that you write about it. This is our “science” for the future. best regards 🙂

• My sincere pleasure. And, I’m very glad it has benefited you. Sad indeed. It happens- the internet is a bastion for unscrupulous malcontents. I’ve come out the better for it. Your thoughtfulness adds to the victory. I wish you the absolute best in all endeavors. Blessings.

• agnecha says:

Yes, it is a bastion … but more lonely experience seekers in it, and good emotions than malcontents / cheaters. At least I hope so. What you are looking for and sending comes back to you. We should not be blocked by bad experiences. With a smile forward 🙂

• Yes, the balance does seem to sway towards the good vs. evil. No, let only bad experiences be stumbling blocks, not mountains. Absolutely!