prophēcy and fáith

The doorway to her sleep

She is sleep spelled in her lowly
beach house.
Out of night’s lair the sheep white
clouds
and the dune grass loping and bleating
roughly
as the wind blithely leaps across the
dew dipped sea.
No gull herd or fish school shall flock
before the sunrise.

Sleep good, fair one, slow and deep
in a creek of dreams
and fairy tales.
In a spinney of dingle wood riven
among the sand plum,
came the keel spume from the fisher’s
sloop;
it lay fast and soothed, safe and
smooth from the
bellows of the rushy sea brood.

He harrowed near and wide; fought
the skulks with metal
drawn from his scabbard in the
deep dell moonlight-
he breasted three into the gravest ghosts.
He sought her sanctum sanatorium,
her dreamscape;
the knelling of her bed. He knelt
before her in praise,
in the star sky of the nightlong days.

He a cavalier, rind in the quest for love;
she, a fair child of the
wheeling moon.
With a kiss, sleep spelled at rest out
of the dream cell. With
chant and flower under a linen of stars,
a marriage forever
held and blessed. Trade winds from
the dousing east,
waves roaring from the sea latch,

Light on the haygold dunes, the winged
plum seed gilding,
and tern wings ribboned for the fair;
Two hearts.
Pastoral beat of blood held and blessed
in the haloed house,
devout in their vows; their faith each
vast night, and the prayer, and
a birth in the first dawn. A
child touched by an angel of the sea.

The border of her sleep

A piece of daylight

Marbled columns like fat candlesticks-
hard with furled brows
ready to snap. They grip a floor eaten
smooth, stiff and white.

Shadowy lids of night cover them,
hide them away in
furrows of a sunken sunset,
wrought with the vines of day.

Across this hour dividing light from
darkness, ascends
the vials of stars, their light in fiery
spheres; they sweep

The dark line bare- a passage for
heavenlier feet to tread;
spreads the covering splendid of
god’s golden hair:

What hour shall be your hour and his.
The very soul of this sacred
place is his soul.
The evil of darkness shall no longer

Hang hard upon this holy place.
With childlike passage,
all sins sowed from our enemies
are washed away.
(A holy aureole in the spheres of faith).

Light

101 comments on “prophēcy and fáith

1. Yleniaely says:

Absolutely magnificent and fascinating poems!!! I love these! 😊

2. Garima Puri says:

Wonderful poem sir!!!

3. The first one is a so quiet poem !
    Thank you, Lance !

4. Barbara Kasey Smith says:

Your words, luscious meats for a hurting soul, images of truth, life as lived, reaching deep into the depths of readers souls filling them to the brim with meaningful verses, excellence emits!

5. I was waiting for your Sunday poetry Lance:)
    I am not sure I understand your meaning, but I was pulled along on your exquisite use of description. In the first she is “Sleep spelled in her lowly beach house” I love that and I see her now with hopes and dreams in her unconscious dreamscapes..full of love and hope that her blessed union would indeed confirm the birth of their child promised and prophesied along the briny shore. This line paints such strong imagery, “He a cavalier, rind in the quest for love;
    she, a fair child of the
    wheeling moon.” Their magic union by the sea, will produce the answer to their dreams
    In the second, I feel the magical light and glow that routes all evil and all darkness. This too is about love and union for me and the power and cleansing of the dawn light in a holy place/ The dark night to hide what craves to be hidden, and the dawn light to cleanse all sins in this holy space. I love how your generous poetry allows for so many interpretations and how mine is just one inspired by your words. Always a pleasure to read you Lance!

• Karima, very thoughtful and considerate of you. You’re an exceptionally gifted reviewer, to which I’m eternally grateful for. Your unique skills as a writer go far beyond your own exceptionally motivating, soul moving writings. You, my wonderful friend, are a blessing to the world of literature!

• Muchas gracias Lance…Your poems many times are like meditations for me…They inspire me to blank my mind and just enter into your words. Your poetry is real food for thought and soul:) So nice to see you posting again and to eat from your banquet.

• My very humble gratitude, Karima. Each read, each review of my poetry is an inspiration. Thank you deeply!

6. Deepness in all your poems, Lance. Your imagination is magical and the way you frame your poems are awesome. Nice to see you back to blogging.

7. Lia says:

I am too touched by the angel of the first one to properly focus on the second one… so so so amazing, dreamy, beautiful. Absolutely spellbinding.

8. Era says:

Beautifully written!!!!

9. João-Maria says:

I adore your technique; I’m not a very spiritual person (which I write poems about all the time), which disallows me from truly tethering to some loftier concepts in poems as yours. A piece of daylight, however, won over a bit of my heart. It’s aureated by this beautifully nitid acquiescence of one into another. The dual essence of unitary being. I really liked it.

• Joao-Maria, what an eloquently written review of my poem. Very informative and inspiring. Thank you so very very for your wonderful thoughts! Peace and light, my friend.

10. Isha Garg says:

Oh my goodness, Gorgeous – and yes, with that capital G.
    You’re such an artist, Lance… I’m immediately transported by your words. They’re like magic spells to another world, a class apart from, well, anyone else! As a lover of true poetry in its classic form, untouched by the vagaries of modern expression, I find your writing a blessing to me.

11. Merjim says:

Great stuff, Lance. The second one is perfect.

12. Devon Brock says:

Much has already been said already regarding these two wonderful pieces. I should note that to me, the link between the two is both themes of “awakening” and “purification”. Clearly each piece presents a duality that is ultimately resolved by joining both light and dark, life and death into unified wholes. Well told tales, Lance. You made me forget about work. As always,

D

13. Silent Hour says:

Your dreamscape was captivating. I a way, it reminded me of medieval stories like Parsifal or maybe Pre-Raphaelite paintings. The same dreamy quality or hypnotic rhythm.

14. murisopsis says:

Both are delightful! The second one however speaks to me. The weaving of the atmosphere makes it read more an aubade as the lovers light and dark (saint and sinner) part ways.

15. Lia says:

Now I’m back to better absorb the second… so surreal and spiritual… I loved these lines: “”spreads the covering splendid of / god’s golden hair” and “What hour shall be your hour and his. / The very soul of this sacred / place is his soul” 💛 …and I had beautiful connection tingles by the end.

Wonderful winged poetry again to let us our soul enjoy their buoyant into them. Thank you and welcome back 🙏👍

17. What a flawless post.
    This is beautiful, Lance.
    You are such a fine writer.

18. librepaley says:

You have such a succinct but graceful turn of phrase. Thank you.

19. Beautiful inspiration 🙏

20. Muralikrish says:

Great poem. Wonderful.👍👌

21. AnuRag says:

Beautiful poem !!!

22. Both poems have so many images. I had to keep stopping to re-read. Wonderful!

23. “sleep spelled” such an evocative phrase and your dreamy verse kept me spellbound!
    The second one was so soul lifting!

24. Msdedeng says:

You have some great poems, puts mine to shame. 🙂

25. The poems so beautiful and mystical. The young woman sleeps soundly as she waits for her knight to arrive he is pursuing his call to love and in the dawning of their sacred marriage a child is born. The child is the bringer of Light who is to cast away the darkness so it no longer lingers in the past.